Planning your visit
Following the announcement by the Health Secretary and local authorities that the North East will have tighter restrictions to control the spread of Coronavirus from 18 September, we would like to clarify that the Shipley Art Gallery will remain open with social distancing measures in place to ensure the safety of our visitors and staff. To comply with these new restrictions, we ask that you only visit our venues as an individual household (or support bubble) of up to six people.
We are excited to welcome you back and we want to make your visit as safe and enjoyable as possible. This means there will be some changes to the way you visit.
Please be aware that some areas of the gallery will be closed until it is safe to open them. These include:
- the lounge
- the Henry Rothschild Study Centre
- the workshop
We are admitting fewer people into the gallery so we can provide enough space for social distancing. There is no need to book your visit in advance, but if we reach capacity you will be asked to queue outside until the number of visitors has reduced to a safe level.
If you are looking to make a school or college group booking please contact the Learning team who will be able to discuss your visit requirements directly with you.
When you arrive
- To comply with government guidance you will be required to wear a face covering to enter the building. (This does not apply to under 11s or people excluded due to health conditions).
- In order to help reduce the risk of a local outbreak of coronavirus we are legally required to take contact details of visitors who do not book in advance or use the NHS track and trace app, as well as recording the time of entering our venue. In line with guidance issued by the government, we will keep your details for 21 days. We will only share them with NHS Test and Trace, if asked, in the event of a fellow visitor testing positive for coronavirus.
- We will also be displaying NHS QR code posters to make it easier for you to check-in. You will need to download the NHS app onto your mobile phone before you can scan the QR code. The app is available on Andriod's Google Play or Apple's App Store - search for NHS Covid-19. If you check-in using the QR code then you do not need to share your details with us. Your cooperation in helping us to keep our visitors, staff and the wider community safe is greatly appreciated.
- Please follow the one-way route through the venue, as shown below.
Throughout your visit
- To comply with government guidance you will be required to wear a face during your visit. (This does not apply to under 11s or people excluded due to health conditions).
- Please follow government advice around social distancing when you visit. Any children in your group must be supervised at all times.
- Please read the new signs providing guidance and our staff and volunteers will also be happy to help you adjust to the new way of visiting.
- Our staff will greet you at a distance. They will be wearing facemasks or visors and we have new screens at our till points.
- Unfortunately some spaces are closed, including the lounge, workshop and Henry Rothschild Study Centre until it is safe to open them.
- Food and drink are not permitted inside the building.
- If possible, please use contactless payment when visiting.
- We encourage you to use the hand sanitisers around the site.
- We have increased cleaning in all public areas and especially in areas of high contact.
- If you have any of the symptoms of coronavirus, or if you have been in contact with anyone that has the virus in the last 14 days, please don’t visit.
Covid19 has had a huge impact on our income. Now more than ever, we believe culture sits firmly at the heart of the North East - please help us keep it there. If you would like to support us you can donate here.
Thank you and stay safe.